To recognize the efforts that scores of Wake Forest students put in applying for nationally competitive REUs and awards (such as the Goldwater, Truman, Fulbright, and Rhodes Scholarships) on top of their classes, community engagement, and leadership commitments, the Scholars Office holds an annual celebration. “Those Who Dared” honors both the students who put in this work — no matter the outcome — and the mentors who supported them along the way.

On April 13, the Scholars Office celebrated more than 80 students from across the College who “dared greatly” by entering these competitions, the mentors who championed them, and the faculty, staff, and alumni who dedicate their time to the selection and nomination processes.

All invited students were encouraged to nominate a mentor who they felt deserved special recognition for exceptional dedication to supporting undergraduates. One mentor is selected from this group to receive the Scholars Office Mentorship Award. This year’s recipient, Assistant Professor of Engineering Dr. Kyle Luthy, was nominated by Josiah Brinson (’24). Josiah describes Dr. Luthy as having “a real skill and passion for mentoring undergraduates and has been there with me every step along the way, supporting and challenging me in numerous ways. I have a wide variety of freedom in his lab to channel my creativity and develop solutions to research problems. Amidst that freedom, Professor Luthy knows when to come alongside and provide suggestions and advice, as well as when to step back and let me figure out a problem on my own.”

Congratulations to Dr. Luthy and all the students who entered the national arena this year. And our abundant gratitude to all the mentors and nominating committee members for their thoughtful and inspiring work.

Dean’s Digest, Honors and Awards Issue 2023, pg. 10